You don’t have to do this alone. Arts & Numbers is a comprehensive financial guide for creative individuals… and anyone else with a passion for something other than accounting and finance.
A basic understanding of finance is essential to ensuring your career lasts for as long as you want it to. This book aims to provide basic information on finance and financial matters for creative entrepreneurs to take ownership of their financial situations, thus ensuring their long-term success, creative and otherwise.
Written in short story form with fictional anecdotes supporting the financial advice, Arts & Numbers promises to be an easy and useful read for creative entrepreneurs at any stage.
Resources From the Book
Enjoy these electronic files from the book to use as a starting point for your own personal and professional endeavors.
- Caroline’s Budget (PDF) (XLS)
- Abby’s Budget (PDF) (XLS)
- Logan’s Cash Flow Model (PDF) (XLS)
- Derek’s Tax Worksheet (PDF) (XLS)
- Goal Worksheet
- Visualization Guide
- System Evaluation Tool
Want to Teach?
Interested in using Arts & Numbers in your class or workshop? Great idea! Elaine prepared a robust instructor’s guide complete with activities, additional readings, and discussion questions. Enter your name and email below to receive a copy of the guide.
Pssst… Check out the For Educators page to see how Elaine has worked with other colleges and universities as well. Perhaps she can visit your class?
Reading Group Guide
There is something special about the creative community. We thrive when we support each other, no matter how different our creative outlets may be. If you are thinking of starting your own gathering of creative entrepreneurs, you may find this reading group guide helpful. It lists probing discussion questions to use to foster conversations — sometimes difficult conversations — about the business and administrative side of our creativity.
Reach out to Elaine for support as well. She can help suggest activities and resources, and she is always willing to join your group virtually for a Q&A session. Contact Elaine for more information.
Want to Learn More?
A little practice makes perfect. Check out the self-study courses to take your understanding of these topics to the next level.
Not convinced? Check out the reviews and press coverage for A&N.
- Money Management for the Creative Class from Daily Worth by Sandra Fernandez (May 16, 2013)
- Money Management for Artists: How to Do Well Without Selling Out in Daily Finance by Michele Lerner (May 30, 2013)
- Arts & Numbers: An Interview with Elaine Grogan Luttrull on Mint’s blog by Matthew Amster Burton (June 11, 2013)
- Even Artists Need to Know Math–Budget Math, That Is in the Monroe Evening News by Paula Wethington (June 25, 2013)
- Under Cover — Arts & Numbers in Art by the Hour, Volume 2 by Mary DeVine (June 2013)
- Dream Job, Nightmare Salary: Make it Work in Pointe Magazine by Juliana Labianca (August 15, 2013)
- Artists, Musicians, and Writers Take a Fresh Look at Financial Success in The Examiner by Tere and John Scott (August 30, 2013)
- Joy in Our Town: An Interview with Elaine Grogan Luttrull Trinity Broadcast Network (original air date September 6, 2013)
- Demystify Personal Finance for Artistic Types in The LA/OC Examiner by Jordan Young (blurb published September 17, 2013)
- Recent Events: Book Signing in The Juilliard Journal by Susan Jackson (October 2013)