Arts and Numbers
Arts & Numbers, Elaine’s first full-length non-fiction work for creative entrepreneurs grew out of the educational endeavors Elaine has pursued since 2007. This work is for creative entrepreneurs… and anyone with a passion for something other than accounting and finance.
Arts & Numbers is not a financial guide that suggests financial matters should take center stage – Quite the opposite in fact. But just as a basic understanding of marketing, social media, public relations, and professionalism is essential to managing one’s personal brand, a basic understanding of finance is essential to ensuring the longevity of that brand.
Written in short story form with fictional anecdotes supporting the financial advice, Arts & Numbers promises to be an easy and useful read for creative entrepreneurs at any stage.
Resources From the Book
Enjoy these electronic files from the book to use as a starting point for your own personal and professional endeavors.
- Caroline’s Budget (PDF) (XLS)
- Abby’s Budget (PDF) (XLS)
- Logan’s Cash Flow Model (PDF) (XLS)
- Derek’s Tax Worksheet (PDF) (XLS)
- Goal Worksheet
- Visualization Guide
- System Evaluation Tool
Reading Group Guide
There is something special about the creative community. We thrive when we support each other, no matter how different our creative outlets may be. If you are thinking of starting your own gathering of creative entrepreneurs, you may find this reading group guide helpful. It lists probing discussion questions to use to foster conversations — sometimes difficult conversations — about the business and administrative side of our creativity.
You can always reach out to Elaine for support as well. She can help suggest activities and resources, and she is always willing to Skype in for a group chat. Contact Elaine for more information.
Want to Teach?
Interested in using Arts & Numbers in your class or workshop? Great idea! Elaine prepared a robust instructor’s guide complete with activities, additional readings, and discussion questions. Here’s a sample of the first two sessions:
Contact Elaine for the full guide.
Want to Learn More?
A little practice makes perfect. Check out the online workshops offered through Minerva Financial Arts to take your understanding of these topics to the next level. At Minerva Financial Arts, we care about artists and the community… A lot. All our courses are distinguished from others by Elaine’s hands-on, supportive approach to coaching you through the material. This course is meant to accompany your reading of Arts & Numbers and building your overall (successful) creative career.
Not convinced? Check out the reviews and press coverage for A&N.
- Money Management for the Creative Class from Daily Worth by Sandra Fernandez (May 16, 2013)
- Money Management for Artists: How to Do Well Without Selling Out in Daily Finance by Michele Lerner (May 30, 2013)
- Arts & Numbers: An Interview with Elaine Grogan Luttrull on Mint’s blog by Matthew Amster Burton (June 11, 2013)
- Even Artists Need to Know Math–Budget Math, That Is in the Monroe Evening News by Paula Wethington (June 25, 2013)
- Under Cover — Arts & Numbers in Art by the Hour, Volume 2 by Mary DeVine (June 2013)
- Dream Job, Nightmare Salary: Make it Work in Pointe Magazine by Juliana Labianca (August 15, 2013)
- Artists, Musicians, and Writers Take a Fresh Look at Financial Success in The Examiner by Tere and John Scott (August 30, 2013)
- Joy in Our Town: An Interview with Elaine Grogan Luttrull Trinity Broadcast Network (original air date September 6, 2013)
- Demystify Personal Finance for Artistic Types in The LA/OC Examiner by Jordan Young (blurb published September 17, 2013)
- Recent Events: Book Signing in The Juilliard Journal by Susan Jackson (October 2013)
Discounted bulk pricing information for Arts & Numbers is available from Agate Publishing. Contact Deirdre Kennedy, Marketing Coordinator, at Kennedy AT AgatePublishing DOT com for more information on purchasing copies to accompany your courses.
Click here to purchase Arts & Numbers at Amazon.com